Sunday, September 2, 2012

PRICE OF APPENDECTOMY!




THE COST OF AN APPENDIX!





He had pain in the right side of his abdomen and he had an ultrasound done outside that diagnosed him as having acute appendicitis. When I examined him, he had no tenderness in his right iliac fossa (McBurney’s point) and on doing blood tests, his total leucocytic count was normal. That was the easy part. The difficult part was to convince him that he did not have appendicitis! I patiently explained to him the pathology and clinical features of the disease. It appeared that he understood well.



At the end, he raised the important question, “Just hours ago, one doctor is so much ready to operate on me for Rs. 35,000 and now you say that I can’t have my appendix removed when I have the ESI beneficiary card to get it done for free!”

No comments: