Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DELHI DIARY 10: THE KISS OF A TOOTHLESS FAIRY


DELHI DIARY 10: THE KISS OF A TOOTHLESS FAIRY

            She did not have any of her front teeth and all her hair was gray. The sallow and wizened lady in her 60s threw an agonizing look at me clasping the right side of the upper part of her abdomen with both hands. I already guessed my diagnosis from where I stood. Laying my hand on her abdomen gave me reasons to think that I was only right. With carefully chosen words and after knitting my eyebrows as is wont for me to enact a credible performance, I declared my suspected diagnosis to her attendant who was however much more certain of the same because of an ultrasound report that he possessed. He produced it like a trump card! He was not very amiable and was rather the ‘too-much-knowing-for-little-good’ kind of person who had too many whys and that many ways to irk other people. I sported a confident smile to baffle his desire to get pugnaciously vociferous. Two hours later the same man had a happily grateful face and sounded a subdued chuckle when he saw his smiling mother rub her palm on my face and plant a kiss on my cheek! She indeed appeared like a small human form with magical powers we call a fairy because her son seemed so much more bearable to talk to after that!
             

2 comments:

(in)sane mind said...

i know a toothless fairy too.....i can relate to what u wrote...very well written.

Gaurav Das said...

Thank you!